BLACK BEAN STUFFED BELL PEPPERS
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Florida’s Natural® Orange Juice*
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 11-ounce can whole kernel corn with peppers, drained
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (3 ounces)
- Orange wedges (optional)
- In a small pan, bring 1 & 1/2 cups of Florida’s Natural® Orange Juice to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until half the liquid—3/4 cup—remains. Let cool slightly.
- Fill a Dutch oven about half full of water; bring to a boil.
- Halve peppers lengthwise, removing seeds and membranes.
- Add peppers to boiling water and return to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, or until peppers are just tender.
- Drain peppers.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine broth, orange juice reduction, onion, uncooked rice and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Stir in beans and corn.
- Stir in most of the cheese; toss to mix.
- Fill peppers with rice mixture.
- Place in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400° F oven for about 25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- If desired, garnish with orange wedges.