IRRESISTIBLE PASTA CARBONARA
- Eggland’s Best® Eggs
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound pancetta, chopped
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (extra for garnish)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large pot, bring water for pasta to a rolling boil. Add pasta and stir.
- Cook pasta to al dente (firm, but not too undercooked) for 10-12 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and coat pan.
- Add pancetta and cook until browned (approximately 3 minutes).
- Add seasoned salt and garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add broth and stir.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs thoroughly. Add 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water to the eggs and set aside.
- Adding the water will temper the eggs, and keep them from becoming scrambled when added to the pasta.
- Drain pasta well when finished and add to skillet with pancetta and oil mixture. Reserve 1-2 cups of pasta cooking liquid.
- Add egg mixture while tossing rapidly with tongs or a large fork, to keep eggs from cooking.
- Remove pan from heat and add cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to toss pasta until cheese is melted and incorporated, and egg mixture thickens (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add reserved cooking liquid from pasta 1/4 cup at a time in case carbonara sauce is too thick to your liking.
- Serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.